Sunday, September 24 at 2:30 pm
Come and celebrate with our scholarship winners. Light refreshments will be served following the program.
The meeting will be at Second Ponce Baptist Church on 2715 Peachtree in the Community Wellness Center. This is behind the church and there is ample parking.
Thanks to members who have already renewed! If you have not, please use the suggestions below to quickly and easily renew your membership online — and update your details in your AAUW record. BTW have your degree dates handy, that may need to be updated.
While there is a contact form to ask for help, it may be faster if you contact me. I am happy to help because I really appreciate members using the online system (and I know that is not always easy). But the more we use it, the better it will get!
1. go to https://www.aauw.org/
2. click log in the upper right corner (NOT membership)
3. scroll down and click the appropriate spot—
a) “forgotten password” if you have forgotten or are here for the first time
b) “login” after typing in your email address and password (this must be the email address on
your record, if you have changed it recently, use the older one and update later.
4. This takes you to “Personal Snapshot” with details on personal contact info and your
5. “Renew” takes you to Membership Management–correct your info here if needed
6. “Next” is still Membership Management but here you may want to correct or add a degree
7. “Next” select Lifetime or National membership (apparently this system knows if you are
eligible for Student)
8. In the following sections, you need to scroll through a long list to
select branch and state; then choose whether or not to add a donation
9. Payment is the last section and you are done. I got a confirmation and receipt quickly.
Membership Vice President
The next meeting of the Atlanta Branch will be held on May 6 at 11:00 am.
It will be held at the Cross Creek Country Club, 1221 Cross Creek Parkway, Atlanta, 30327. Parking is available in front of the restaurant.
You will be able to order individually off of a limited menu, and you must pay with a CREDIT CARD, no cash accepted.
Following the program, there will be a business meeting and installation of new officers for 2023-2025. Please try to attend and don’t forget to RSVP via Sign-Up Genius.
The program, “Prisoners are People, Too,” will be presented by Lee Culpepper and Nicole Wieson, the Georgia Director of the Multifaith Initiative to End Mass Incarceration. People who are incarcerated had lives before prison. They are part of families, they have left friends behind, and there’s someone missing when families or friends gather.
Both presenters at our meeting have important stories to share about incarceration in Georgia prisons. Nicole Wieson, the Georgia Coordinator of the Multifaith Initiation Initiative to End Mass Incarceration and Program Development Manager for the National Incarceration Association, has bachelor’s and master’s degrees in clinical social work and additional clinical training. Lee Thrasher Culpepper has a PhD in Counseling Psychology from UGA. Although now retired, she has much experience counseling with people who are experiencing difficulties.
The Atlanta Branch has been diligently planning the 2023 AAUW of Georgia Annual Convention.
Where: Central Congregational United Church of Christ, 2676 Clairmont Road, Atlanta, 30329
When: Saturday, April 22, 2023
9:00 a.m. to Registration and Light Breakfast
9:30 a.m. Placing and looking at displays & Silent Auction items
What: A day to learn:
- about current public policy
- about immigration concerns and some possible solutions
A day to share:
- ideas, information, and friendship
A day to celebrate:
- what AAUW members have done and can do to further equity and justice for women and children everywhere
- A report from Georgia Senator Sally Harrell on the 2023 Legislative Session
- One way to avoid Run-off Elections, presented by Better Ballot Georgia
- Keynote: Kembra Smith, Immigration Attorney “The Law of Immigration”
- (Kembra would like to receive your questions two weeks in advance of the meeting, email@example.com )
- The “Heart” of Immigration, presented by Grace Hawkins from Transit Angels
Lunch: Delicious box lunches from Panera Bread (also sweets from Atlanta members)
At our business meeting, we will hear from a National staff person (via Zoom) to discuss necessary and possible changes to National and State bylaws.
We will elect and install our 2023/2024 officers.
There will also be a Silent Auction to raise funds for a non-profit that is important to us. Please bring items, new or used, edible or “collectible” or not. Let your imagination be your guide.